View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #26
trube78

I like manuals. Have drove an auto or two. Had an M3 SMG which was quite slick. A few thoughts.

1. Few sports cars -- M3, Boxster, Z4 etc. are monsters from 0-60. That is not what they are designed for ... balanced driving in the twisties is the design goal. Using 0-60 as "the measuring stick between an auto and manual in a sports car is like saying the Yankees will win the series because they have a better bat-boy." Tough to heel-toe an auto though they have some advantages as well -- for example they allow more concentration on the road.
2. The 0-60 (and 1/4) time is largely determined by the launch. In a boxster, there is one shift after the launch before 60 MPH -- a straight pull. Tips are listed as 1.0 second slower than a manual because they are tougher to get a great launch. Repeated good launches in autos are easy. Manuals can get a good to great launch repeatedly with minimal work/practice. Installing better tires can improve launch dramatically. (OBTW SMG M3s have a special launch mode just for us Americans -- it "attempts" to replicate a perfect launch. We love to squeal our wheels. Still SMGs are slower than a manual from 0-60 and they can execute a pefect shift faster than any man every time.).
3. Automatics may be cheaper to repair over time than manuals (tough to verify/validate) although I expect this is make/model specific. Autos cost 2 to 3K more and get worse gas mileage which is a clutch change or two in almost any car. I have had several clutches last 150 to 200K in cars as diverse as an MG, TR-6, Jensen Healey, Volvo, and a SAAB turbo. Today many automatics are disposable -- to expensive to repair.
4. From an engineering standpoint autos have more drive train losses than manuals. But in order to maximize the advantages of a Manual you usually are driving pretty agressively -- not good for the life of the clutch.

Its all good. If I lived in D.C. I would have an auto. Here in Blacksburg, my wife's and my Boxster are both manual (she drives a manual better than most guys.) I am disappointed that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the drivers can drive a Manual and most are older. It is becoming a lost art to do it well. However ... I cannot imagine life without a convertible ... that is a real crime.
just my dime.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote