View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
jeffm

Who's driving a 987 or Cayman?

Wow, the 981 is just a fantastic looking car. I wish I could, but I can't justify the cost for a vehicle that will only be driven 5,000 a year. This is part of the reason I returned the 997S 2 weeks ago.

I went and looked at a 2007 Cayman base today and took it for a drive. Like the base Boxster, power was adequate, but didn't blow me away. This got me thinking, do I really need the extra hp of an S? The realistic answer....no. Even in my base 986, the only time I "think" I need more hp is when I'm hanging withe the 997 guys or the occasional need from a dead stop. In actuality, the base hp is plenty fun and more power would most likely get me in trouble.

Although I enjoy the convertible aspect of the Boxster, I'm thinking I won't miss the open roof too much. There are the great days when you can cruise with the top down, but much of my riding is with my 7 y/o. GA summers get pretty hot and the majority of the time we wind up turning the ac on. Not to mention, the Cayman looks way better than the Box with the top up.

The Cayman I saw today was black on black and a few odds/ends that needed addressing (broken door handle, cup holders, etc...), but mechanically ok. Approx 60k-ish miles, but priced about $3k too high. It's been stating around for about 2.5 months, so maybe a deal can be worked about. Need to sell my 996 FSBO, as trade-in value is the pits.

I'm in no hurry this time around.

Last edited by jeffm; 03-17-2014 at 05:42 PM.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote