Thread: 2.5 or 3.2
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
BoxOfFun

my 2Cents!!

Just picked up my first PORSCHE. Picked up a 2000 Boxster 2.7L 5 speed.
Looked diligently for a about 3 weeks up n down the west coast, found one in my back yard practically. Dark blue with savanah beige interior 59K miles.
Just paid $950 after picking the car up on monday and got the 60K miles service done. The independent shop in Ventura was impressed, no oil leaks every thing checked out fine.
I test drove the S Model as well though it was just a short test 4 miles test ride I felt that both cars were very similar. Yes the S had more pep but not a night and day difference.

I had a misconception that the S model was superbly superior to the base model.

Yesterday drove up north and put about 400 miles on my car, response in traffic, through the twisties in SLO was very impressed. Corners well, it has ample power and pickup when needed. I had it up to about 100MPH and it felt sturdy and smooth.

If you can get a well maintained 2.7L for a decent price it is well worth it.
If you cant afford the extra 3k-4K people want just because of the S get a 2.7L you will enjoy it.

I had sold a classic car and had 16K cash, found a 2000 S with 50K miles for 13.5K super condition. The owner was a 27 year old, I felt the car looked great and drove good but the clutch just did not seem right, and I could not trust the current owner.

The other one was a 2000 2.7L off a retired couple in their mid Sixties. The car was driven sparingly by the woman to and from the country club or shopping. Maintained at the Auto Gallery. Had 59k miles.

Needless to say I bought the older couple's car for 11.5k Very clean inside/out.
BoxOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote