View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #60
evan9eleven
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
The pop off is a easy retro fit so if it does not have it no big deal. I think it cost me years ago about $100 for the parts and install.

Sounds like you well eventually need and interior and body/paint guy. Rust should easy to spot but you will want to get need the car to confirm. I really doubt the owner would have done the mechanical work if the body had serious rust issues.
I should hope not, he's put more into the car in two years then you guys stateside would pay for a near perfect SC. I have a great indi shop that can do the whole resto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
"Owner thinks its never seen salt but I doubt he knows for sure. However, in spite of the car having lived all over the US before landing in Norway he says its 99.3% rust free. Some surface rust in the spare tire area, and a couple ugly rock chips and thats it. I'll be checking myself when I see the car, as well as sending it to a PPI if everything looks worth it."

I don't know the SCs well enough to comment on where to look, but I'd definitely be thorough with the rust inspection. Look under the battery, around all door, window, hood seals, inside the wheel wells, under-body, etc.

Yes, the SCs were far more rust-proofed than early 911s, but this car is old. It may have had some structural work that compromised some of the rust proofing. Be thorough and trust your gut.

Based upon what you say about the interior and the worn paint, I'd go in expecting to be able to negotiate him down quite a bit, especially if the interior is borderline on being functional (i.e. really worn seats, broken levers, etc.). Keep us posted!
Pretty sure the function is there but cosmetically the car has seen a lot of sun and looks the part according to owner. He's asking way too much for the condition of the car in the current market, and I'm going to have to give him a reality check before offering him a check. On the plus side, if he'll negotiate I'll hopefully get a solid car with a rebuilt motor that I can really redo nicely.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote