View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

I upgraded my nasty, low quality, failing Becker factory CD/Radio with an Alpine that had satellite inputs, plays MP3's, and even has an iPod connector and controller through the display. It was $225 new in the box, bought from Ebay. It totally blows away the Becker as far as features and sound quality. One would think I replaced all the speakers and the Porsche amp, but I did not.

No, it does not look like a factory unit. But after you hear the improvements it makes, you will not care.

I highly recommend buying an Alpine head unit and then have a local stereo shop that has worked on 996's do your install. Mine cost $100. (Do not let a stereo shop experiment on your car as they'll screw it up). There might be a wiring harness you could buy for it, but last year when I tried I didn't find one that was a simple plug and play. Wires had to be spliced, and while that's no big deal for me, no one could tell me which colored wires to cut on the car side to make it work. That's why I went with a professional installer.

If you don't have a rear speaker box and speakers, you need to buy that too as soon as possible as it makes top down driving far better when it comes to listening to the radio or the CD player or whatever you have plugged into the head unit.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote