Thread: Hit something?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #31
Steve Tinker

Bulldog...
I feel for you, as 3-4 years ago I replaced my belt rollers and having just bought Wayne Dempsys 101 Projects for your Boxster, I followed the procedure as described in the Projects book.
Unfortunately, there was an error in the installation torque value of the lower roller retaining bolt (now updated I believe) and the result was that the new bolt sheared off and I was left with the same problem as you have.
I guess I was a little luckier as the remains of the broken bolt was flush with the block, but no way could I get a right angle drill in there without cutting out part of the bulkhead or removing the engine.
After sleeping on it, I bought a long very thin needle punch and after punching a small indentation in the bolt, slowly started tapping the bolt out of the block. Even though I had used Locktite on the threads when I installed the new bolt, it slowwwly came out - even though there was minimum manouvering room, & I cried with relief when enough of the bolt was out and I could grasp it with pliers......

Looking at your pictures, your bolt is a long way in the block, and I don't know if the long punch method will work for you. Trying to drill it out is fraught with danger as its difficult to get the drill strait even if you have the room to get one in there, plus if the drill runs off the old bolt, theres a good chance it will damage the thread & soft alloy block.....

Cutting, removing and re-welding the bulkhead so you can get a drill / easyout in there may be easier than removing the engine, depending where your expertise lay....
Whatever method you use, best of luck - its a nasty situation to be in and I sympathise with you.
Please keep us all informed of the outcome.