Thread: 981 gts
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Porsche has a very strict hierarchy with their sports car models: the Boxster is at the bottom, the Cayman is the middle, and the 911 is on top, then the 918 at the very top. The Macan, Panamera, and Cayenne are off doing their own thing.

When the Cayman first came out it was widely recognized that if Porsche had given it more horsepower than a 911, it would be the better car due to a mid engine design with a rigid body. But they will never do that, I think the closest you may see is an S, GT, or Spyder version of a Porsche slightly passing the HP of the model above. If they did do a 981 GTS with more HP than a Cayman S, I think it would be a limited edition run.
I disagree with your assumption that the boxster ranks lowest in Porsche's hierarchy of vehicles. In my opinion, the boxster and Cayman are on par with one another in terms of cost and performance - with the main difference being that one is an "open air" vehicle while the other is a coupe. Over time, both vehicles have received equal attention from Porsche with regard to special editions and remodeling.