View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Perfectlap

Irony. The faster, better-handling, less expensive long-term maintenance, faster, safer, less leaky, faster, better balanced, more forgiving the Porsche... the less likely it is to recoupe its original sticker price.

That said, If I had the space I'd be buying 964's and 911's by the hangar full. Not for this silly obsession on the resale of a used car that many air-cooled owners suffer from, but because if I did want one of these car I wouldn't be interested in bidding in a speculative frenzy for it.

But I don't think these cars are in a bubble and I certainly don't agree with these guys that it's too late for most 911's. Why? It's a simple supply and demand proposition for a finite production. Neither do I agree with these guys that the reason for the upturn is due to the 911 being a great car. The 996 is a great car too... yet the price action is completely different. Mechanical merit, like Reliability, really doesn't matter anymore because the most valuable 911's are all garage queens now. It's all about accessibility of cars that were sold as few as ~2,500 units in the 993's last year.. *during* a gang busters bull market economy. The Boxster quickly sold five times that soon after. But at the same time it's not like 550 shopping, you'll have no problem finding a good 911 in a day at plausible price because so many are enthusiast owned and nearly all will part with them for the right price..

My advice, don't buy now. Basically wait for the next credit crunch or stock market crash where the aspirational wealthy need to pay some bills fast, buy a 964 fixer upper and you'll have a garage queen highly likely to appreciate.

p.s.

996/Boxster/Cayman = workhorse cars that can put the weekend warrior within seconds of a factory driver's best lap without breaking the bank.

air cooled = will never be a workhorse car.

And as for our Boxster, the interviewer should have pointed out that mid-engine Porsches were the first supreme race winners, long before the revamped 356 was a figment in amy Porsche engineers head. and the Boxster is faster and better handling than 90% of all Carreras ever built.
We just made way too many of them. Great for rescuing the brand from going into bankruptcy not so good if you want to trade them like baseball cards.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-14-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote