View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I am not an electrical engineer, but, I would think if you recently added speakers, it would require the amp to work harder, to power more outlets (speakers).
Bingo. I can't remember off-hand how many watts the CDR-220 has, but say it's 100. If you had 4 speakers installed before, you had an average 25 watts/channel. Add two more and now you're at 16 2/3 watts/channel average.

One way to help, if there are 4 speaker channel outputs on the unit (I can't imagine there are any less), is to put your four smallest (least watts, not physical size) speakers on one pair of outputs (usually front pair) and put your two more powerful speakers on the other pair of outputs (usually rear pair).

The reason for this is if there are 4 speaker outputs the stereo will split them evenly so in a 100W system you would have 25W/channel going out. If you plug one channel into two speakers, it is splitting that channel into two 12.5W channels giving you weak output. With what you are describing, my guess is your door speakers and new rear speakers are on the same channel so your 4 most powerful speakers are being fed by half the power each while the weaker dash speakers are being fed by more than they can use.

Hope it helps.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote