View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
BigShow

I'm considering a Boxster or 911 sometime in the next year. I'm looking at the Solution and Retrofit as preventative maintenance. I've been reading what Jake Raby and LN have been doing. Looks like a very thorough and well engineered set of solutions. I even spoke with the local independent shop that is authorized to install the Solution/Retrofit.

So, as someone considering buying in to the Porsche family I have some IMS economic observations or maybe questions.

From looking through various forums the installed cost for the IMS Retrofit is about $2,000 and the Solution is about $4,000, do I have that more or less right? Other work would probably be completed at the same time, but let's set that aside for a bit.

The recommended Retrofit life time is 50,000 miles, and the life of the solution is engine life time, right?

So, at double the cost the Solution pays for itself after 100,000 miles? I've seen reports of +200,000 mile and up Boxsters and 911's. So if you keep a Porsche for longer than 100,00 miles from date of Solution install it may be worth the extra cost.

Assume that you still have to replace the clutch every 50,000 miles and the effort to get to the clutch is the same as the IMS. Therefore in reality it takes a very, very long time for the Solution to pay for itself. Am I right or wrong?

Last edited by BigShow; 02-09-2014 at 07:06 PM.
BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote