View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Bobiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Never heard this double row, slower failure, theory before. I wouldn't place much value on it. If the bearing starts to fail, it will scatter metal pieces throughout the engine, which will cause long-term problems. So while, the bearing may not have failed so far for the engine to destroy itself, it's not a good thing. If you're worried, replace the clutch and the bearing and put the issue to rest.
The Porsche mechanic (we're talking the owner of a full race shop) has changed hundreds and did this half day lecture for the PCA local chapter at his garage. He says the double row bearing failure will make itself known....so, if you hear it you likely have safe seconds or minutes to shut it down. Believe what you will. He also said that once the IMS bearing is replaced you should think about doing a 50,000 mi replacement if you truly want to stay safe.

Personally I have 60,000 mi and my clutch is fine. If I had a lot of money to throw at it, I wouldn't have a 13 yr old car!