View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #220
chipmunk

Garage
It's always difficult with something like this as the definition of what is or isn't a drone is often a matter of opinion. Also, my car will make any increased noise at the 2500-2800 range more noticeable as it's a tiptronic and likes to keep the revs there when doing 50mph (the speed limit on a lot of our roads). As I have said, the drone is fairly marginal (certainly not like before) so quite possibly what I hear as a drone JAAY may think is just increased exhaust noise. You really need to experience it yourself.

What I can say though is that there is a significant increased volume from the exhaust overall - the video clips don't show this as I think the camera has automatically adjusted the volume. With the smaller holes I could only hear the increased exhaust note at idle but now I can hear it reflecting off buildings as I drive through town, so a big improvement there. The sound is also much better in that it's not a raspy sound (a bit like a hole in your silencer - which of course is what it is ) but a deep sporty sound. I just think (for me) I should have stopped a little sooner however others may think it's absolutely fine - especially if you drive a manual and don't spend much time in the 2500 - 2800 range.

While this doesn't help anyone in the US, anyone close by to Kent in the UK is welcome to stop by and hear what it sounds like. A second opinion might be useful.