View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
Rob175

I have a '98 Boxster (5 speed) with 74,000 miles. After reading the various posts about the IMS failures I contacted my independent Porsche shop that I've done some business with in the past to express my concerns about this issue. (btw...a very well run shop with a great reputation)

The owners told me to NOT be concerned. They have only seen a couple in all the years they've worked on Porsche Boxsters. They asked if there were any signs of oil on ground under the car. When told no oil is ever on the ground they suggested I bring the car in so they can put it on the lift to confirm there is no oil under the car and also listen to the bearing with a stethoscope.

I appreciate their expertise and their suggestions. They did say that they have seen a few more IMS failures on the 911's but as I wrote, they seldom have seen them on Boxters. It's somewhat curious that the Class Action Suit covers Porsche cars starting in 2001 instead of a few years earlier, like my '98. Perhaps that indicates that I'm somewhat out of danger.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote