View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #213
chipmunk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Great comparison video chipmunk. The sound at idle and at lower revs is noticeable but there seems to be little difference at wider throttle openings and higher revs. Of course there is no load. Do you notice much difference when in the road at higher revs and wider throttle opening?
I took my car down the motorway this morning to give it a proper test at different engine speeds and load conditions. The best way I can describe it is it's like a tame lion. It roars but doesn't necessarily follow through. When I had the Toyosports exhaust on I got a spine tingling racing car roar whenever I took the revs over 5000 rpm. You don't get that with this mod - you get the same type sound but in a much more subdued form. In fact I would describe my exhaust now as how I would expect a sports car exhaust to sound as standard - throaty but within acceptable norms.

What I will say is that there is a significant difference between 15mm and 25mm. At 15mm it's a bit raspy and you don't notice much difference except at idle. At 25mm it's much deeper (more like the sound of the SS free-flow systems) and has a nice purr to it at low and middle ranges, with just enough at high revs to let you know it's there.

Interestingly, while there is no resonance as such, there is a definite peak in sound volume in the car at 2800rpm. I have a feeling that if you went bigger than 25mm holes that you might end up back with the resonance issue, without the performance benefits of the free-flow system. This makes me wonder whether the resonance is more related to intensity of sound causing the car to vibrate, rather than the design of the exhaust - I'd be interested to hear whether anyone that has fitted one of the more expensive performance exhausts also has the resonance problem. My advise therefore to anyone thinking of trying this mod is - go to a max of 1 inch / 25mm. Bigger than that and you may regret it.