View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I have been quoted, by a couple of body shops, $350 to re-spray my front or rear bumper cover if I R&R it myself. Perhaps prices are lower here.

Suggestions for your clean room. Include a strong exhaust fan on the back wall and a filtered transfer grill on the front wall, a good furnace filter should work. Wear clean lint-free coveralls, gloves, and something like a shower cap. Mist the floor before you start to also keep particles down. Turn off the fan prior to exiting the room. It's all about gribley prevention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Most body repair costs are for prep work before painting. Bondo, block sanding over and over again takes a lot of time but it's something you can do. I would do the prep work myself and then take the bumper to a paint shop and have them shoot it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
Have you considered doing some of the prep work yourself and having a shop do the final spraying? Or maybe looking for someone on (gasp) Craigslist? There's some really good talent out there but a lot of jokers as well. Best wishes!

LOL, just read this:
All very good suggestions and I thank you! Gotta love this community.

I will definitely check around the local shops and see what they charge to paint a prepped bumper cover. If I can get it done professionally for $500 or less, that will absolutely make me re-think doing it myself (not that I'm ascared, but it would be tedious and time consuming).

Although...if I gained the experience and clean room from doing it myself, I'd never need a paint shop again!
I guess I'll check on pre-prepped prices and go from there.

BTW, thanks for the link Swhitcomb. Great info!

Last edited by particlewave; 01-24-2014 at 10:31 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote