View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My dirty little secret...

For my 2 1/2 years of ownership, I've been living with scratched and cracked paint on my rear bumper cover...a parting gift from the PO.

I've considered taking it in to get painted but the fact that it cannot be seen from more than 5ft away, compounded by my obsessive need to DIY everything, has left it as is. No more. It's time to admit I have a problem and do something about it.

So, here it is...

I am going to DIY this, and it's going to look as near to OEM as any professional could get it. I've spent the past two and half years debating, researching and preparing. My question to the community is: has anyone tackled anything like this before and do you have any advice? The scratches are pretty deep (PO attempted to repair using some kind of paint that is now a lovely shade of pink), so the plan is to sand down past the base coat in the small area, respray, blend and clearcoat. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
(Unless it's to say "take it to a pro"... where's the pride in throwing money at someone to fix your problems when, with a little effort, you can fix them yourself? Anyone can be a pro if they only put the time and effort in and I just can't bring myself to pay hundreds, if not more than a thousand dollars to have something done that I can do for under $100. I've always done all of my own work and refuse to turn away from a challenge )

Thanks fellow 986ers!
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-24-2014 at 05:18 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote