View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
scottvd

Garage
Depo tail lights - dual reverse lamps, LED turn signals

Installed the Depo LED tail lights. I wanted the turn signals to be on LED, so I moved them to the LED spot reserved for the fog tail lights. Also it looks much better not to have that amber coated filament bulb installed anymore. The amber really reflected off the mirrored surface and showed up quite a bit. I did have to install a resistor to prevent hyperflashing. Since the resistors do get hot I installed mine behind the tail light assembly inside the trunk, I tucked away out of sight against the exposed metal body.

With the turn signal filament bulb gone it was just wasted space, so I doubled up the reverse lamps and put a second clear bulb in that spot - now I have double the reverse light!

I did have to hack the bulb socket assembly a bit to accomplish all this, but it's reversible if necessary.

Looking at the picture below, the right taillight, the lower left corner is a LED bank, that's the brake light. The red block on the bottom middle is a filament bulb for the taillights. It uses a 5007 (17171/R5W) bulb - I purchased these LED replacement bulbs which are supposed to be brighter than the stock filament bulbs. From what I've read the reverse lamps are best kept filament as many of the LED bulbs aren't as bright or disperse the light as evenly.

As a side note, with two Depo LED tail lights and the third (center mount) LED brake light installed the braking lights work fine WITHOUT the use of a resistor.