View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I'm in a situation similar to Boxsterlover's. I'm considering purchasing a Boxster to drive almost everyday. (I have another car that I would drive in snow and heavy rain.)

Among the cars I'm considering is a 98 with 17,000 miles that had the engine replaced in 2005. Does anyone have an opinion about early models with with a new engine? From what I have read on this an other forums, engine replacements in early models is not uncommon.
Okay, see you're thinking with the wrong head and ignoring the advice on this thread.

Engine replacements aren't completely "uncommon" but that's mostly because replacing a P engine is potentially cheaper than fixing it.

My opinion on early models with a replaced engine is: "Let someone else buy it". Again, there are plenty of Certified Porsche Boxsters out there. You can ignore the advice and probably get away with it. But don't assume that just because you have a "new" engine you're going to be okay. I'm betting the guy who had to replace the engine out of warranty after less than 17,000 miles didn't think it would fail either.

I'm guessing that the "new" engine has a 1 to 2 year warranty. Oh, wait, it's 2006 so I'm betting it has a 1 year warranty and it's about to expire.

Let me reiterate - These cars aren't cheap to own. Could you buy the '98 for $16,000 and have that new engine last for 100,000 miles? Sure. But the real question is: Do you have an extra $13,000 for a new engine in case you're wrong?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote