View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
peterbrown77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You need to step back and look at this objectively; the aftermarket ceramic hybrid is an unknown that you are risking your engine on. It also is an "open" bearing design, which means it does not have anything on the rear to keep the IMS shaft from flooding with oil, so you will need to fab a plug for the shaft in order to use it. I also love the single review on the vendor's website.

The Pelican bearing is basically similar to the OEM bearing, which is know to be a problem. So you need to ask yourself if you want to replace a known problem with another one.......
I understand what you are saying... not that it matters, but it's available open, double shielded (2ZZ) or double seal (2RS), and shields/seals are easy to pop out. I've been running a risk for 72,000 miles with the original Porsche bearing as well. I was just curious if anyone had gone this route and what the result was.

I'd have to say that it would be more reliable than the plain "refresh" kit but unknown against the LN kit, whose major cost component has to be the new cover, with which I have no problem - it's the bearing.