Thread: Octane number
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
jcb986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
So this is old school (literally) but I had a fuels and lubes course as part of my engineering degree, and we had a lab. The lab setup was half mad scientist, and half API testing rigs. a small part of the class revolved around determining, and changing octane ratings in gasoline using a knock engine in the lab. This was a big electricallty driven rig with a single cylinder, the compression ratio of the engine could be changed by turning a crank until detonation occured. Made a h3ll of a noise, all great fun (for engineers). The upshot was that experimentally, using the octane engine, the greatest increase in octane was not obtained with off the shelf octane boosters, but by mixing different octane gas (low and high ) from different producers. Why? Because at that time different chemicals were used to boost the octane in different brands, and the octane booster level in the gas was usually slightly in excess of what was needed so there was a little booster left over in each gas blend. Mix the gas blends together and you get a synergy that uses the left over boosters in each gas brand/blend to increase the overall octane of the mix you created. Because gas blends change constantly, as do the octane boosters, this is not reliably repeatable, but we were getting blends that were between 95 and 100 octane. There was an octane booster that claimed 101 octane that wasn't even close. I've made a point to use different brands ever since for higher octane.

I built street cars back in the 60's and I would mix premium American White 93 octane with Sunoco Blue Plus also 93 octane. These were leaded gasoline, anyway you could feel a change in how the engine ran and the mix also changed the smell of the coming out of the tail pipe. When I went to drag strip I would mix airplane fuel to gas. I was running a 327 Chevy engine, 12-1 pistons, polished and ported heads and high lift street Crane cam. My best guess was my octane was around 105. Engine screamed and it performed perfectly. If you are using racing fuel you would be disqualified. Racing fuel has very unique smell. So octane makes a big difference high performance engines.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote