View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #197
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I don't disagree/question you at all with regards to the material of the lens. Just a personal curiosity about the effects of the angled lens. Yes pointing a laser through the lens perfectly perpendicular should provide nearly a perfect beam on the other side. But what if you shined the laser at a 45 or less degree angle, is the beam the still the same? Just a question of optics.

The reason why I asked for pictures is because I'm a light enthusiast and I like good optics, I follow HIDplanet and that's one of the picture that's always included, a picture against the wall. Yes, your craftman is great and I can appreciate how it looks, but I also want to see how badass and great these perform too.
RE light enthusiast, I see. HIDplanet have been a tremendous resource for my research, there are 2-3 guys (regulars) on that forum that knows their stuff quite impressively well. I am actually very grateful to one of them for having shared so much and helped me out in my quest of the unknown (in my case, as a new light enthusiast!).

My secret, Ohhh my:

Although those MH1 projectors are fine, they are not a "precision manufactured" item. The cheap injection molded plastic part used to support the lens often is OFF by millimeters (mind you, most is caused by sloppy assembly as well). Tabs holding the lens securely also tend to be left with flash around them shifting the angle on the lens in some case. It still makes it a "so-so" and affordable product and still working fine you'll say. However the cutoff line you will be getting is all based on luck... you may have a left side sharper than a right side, a shift of optics on the other, stuff like that. Read correct: you move the lens in-or-out by as small as 0.5mm and you screw up the focal point completely. And that is just NOT what real Porsche enthusiasts wants!

The CNC precision equipment I use here allows me to machine the parts to very high tolerance. So I can take this package, break it out, I can very accurately 'position' the lens relative to the elliptical bowl to 0.02mm tolerance. In fact the elliptical is absolutely great on this new 2014 projector model (brutal and sharp beam). In other words, I have the freedom and ability to "dial-in" a very precise optical and "find that exact focal sharpness" for each and single projector that I make.

The other secret is, I am able to reproduce nearly identical parts (again +/- 0.02mm tolerance). Making not only one of the best cutoff sharpness out there, but both Left & Right are identical. That is what I call Quality and the reason behind why I am not particularly shy to call this kit a "High Performance Bi-Xenon Projector retrofit kit for Porsche car".

Ohhh my, it's laser scanner effect-like when you (bumpy) drive this thing in the dark, actually very addictive... feels clean and precise! Nothing to compare with litronic or those frosted bimmer hids [no additional comments here].

Not bad for a noob light enthusiast huh?