View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
rondocap

Got a PDK 987.2 Boxster - coming here to say hello 986ers!

Hey guys - good to be back!

As some of you may remember, I had a blue 986 manual Boxster. I had purchased it on a whim to see how I'd like the experience, and in fact I really enjoyed it.

It was a good example, 2001 with around 57,000 miles. Earlier this year I made the decision to get rid of it, for two primary reasons. First, it had a number of issues that I'd have to address in order to keep it working up to spec. New top as my plastic window was cracked, LE and clutch upgrades, and some suspension refreshing for some noise. All in All, would have run around $4k or so.

Secondly, while I really liked the manual (It was my first!) my wife could not drive it and thus never warmed up to the car.

So, my plan was set into motion. After I sold it, about 8 months later I finally decided I wanted another Boxster. (Or Cayman, if I found the right one...)

I had decided to get an "S" this time, and a 2009 car with PDK. I waited until the winter hit in the Northeast for best deals, and picked up the perfect car:

2009 Boxster S, with PDK, Nav, Xenons, Bose, and remaining CPO warranty until 2015, with 44k miles. All of this for only $33k from a Porsche dealer!

I Figure that not having to replace the top and LE upgrades save me $4k off the bat, as the 987.2 has everything upgraded already.

So, for comparison purposes, there is obviously a huge difference in the cars both performance and technology wise, but when I start it up, you do catch a few glimpses of the 986, especially in the engine sound.

The 986 was fun in that you could put your foot down and really drive it to the wall and hear that sound, but the PDK S is another story - it feels super fast, especially that mid range torque. It also revs out nicely and you can still use it for fun in day to day driving, but it does have more power which is great. The 310 HP feels like 400 or more.

The tech is great, nav and bose as well. Makes it a fun cruiser when traffic is around.

I know many of you guys, like I did, eventually plan to go into a 987 or even 981 - and it's definitely worth it. Everything is a bit more refined and better - but the 986 is still a classic Porsche experience that is embedded in even the newer cars.

Tip: You can get a 2009 car like I did, and save literally half the price off a new 981. the 981 looks better and is a bit better, but it's sure not $40-$50k better!
Attached Images

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote