View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
Based on the stories of failure new pumps and the possible relationship to improper bleeding (air) of the coolant system this is one DIY I would not do. I'd bet there are more engine failures due to overheating related issues than IMS. If I did change the pump and Tstat I would have a pro refill the coolant system.
It's a catch22 situation. If you changed the pump then you would need to get the equipment to fill the coolant properly. If you have the talent to change the water pump then you need the cash to buy the equipment to refill the coolant. How could you change the pump and then move the car to get it serviced without driving it? You need coolant to do that. Or else flatbed it to the shop.

Mark T is correct but comes across harsh but he is right - you need the air pressure equipment.
As for me if I cannot do something perfectly on my Box then I pay the indy shop to do it. The Box is my first Porsche and I have waited till I am sixtie something to do it.
So far no regrets but no doubt about it it is easy to spend big $$$$ on repairs and proactive repairs.....

If you got the talent to change the water pump then bleeding the system should be pretty easy for you with the right equipment. 101 Projects for your Boxster etc.
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote