View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I have been test driving 996's and turbo's, and although I'm not yet sure what I will end up with yet, I really liked the way the 99 996 drove. I love that the motor is high strung like the boxster and likes to be revved. Where as the turbo is effortless to drive, there is always power. In the turbo you hear the exhaust note, in the 99 you hear the motor which I prefer. What do you think of a 3.4 with 80k miles that has been maintained? I have net driven a 3.6 yet, but do you guys think its a big improvement?

I am considering the noted 3.4, and currently an extremely low mileage turbo. I like the 3.4 as it allows me to keep my boxster and keep a lot of funds in my bank account. My only concern with the 3.4 is cracks forming in the cylinder walls and killing the motor. Do you think this is an over reaction?
I have been where you are before. Yes 3.4s have the thinest & weakest cylinder walls of any watercooled flat6, so compression & leakdown test with borescopeing is good idea during PPI. Yes I prefer the 3.6 cars & love the Turbos. (hate awd) Good reason to go with the 99 is the cable throttle & generous emissions levels for pre-2000 cars. I would like to have a Turbo as my luxury driver maybe a Tip for LA traffic but can't afford it now & rarely need the back seat.
My solution keep the funnest chassis & transplant the 3.4-3.6 into what you have.