View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
seningen

I'm familiar with the IMSB -- I've replaced several. In fact my old S had one
of the first 3 row bearing IMS tubes -- photo used to be on LN's website :-)

This car has 100K miles on it. I was already in the midst of rebuilding
a 3.2L -- so unless I need a clutch -- I might just leave that as it is
and just take my chances. Of course, I haven't pulled the oil filter yet.
That might change my mind.

I have the adapter and the small filter -- but my sandwich plate is only for an accusump, so I'd have to get a new one.

I thought the SpecBox's put the coolers behind the wheels -- but they
typically remove the cats -- and I was thinking that is where the room is.

I might look at the back side of my front bumper area and see if there
are any mods there for airflow.

I too am concerned about the deep sump kit -- not sure the 0.5Qt is enough,
and the 2QT might be too low. Might go that way anyways. The 75%+ use model
will be driving to the track and on it. I'm a member of a private track about
30 miles from my house.

I'm leaning towards the EBS 2Qt setup. I'm not too worried about the small filter setup. I'd probably change oil more often than most folks anyways.

Good idea on the Tranny. I don't plan endurance runs -- so hopefully I can let it cool in-between track sessions. But I'll be swapping in some better tranny fluid prior to hitting the track

thanks for the ideas!.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
yeah, the box uses the coolant to cool the oil, so keeping engine temps down will keep oil temps down.

personally, I think a transmission oil cooler is much more essential; I lose my transmission before oil temps ever get too high. if you are worried about oil temp, perhaps first step is to put an oil temp sensor in - there are threads on that here (there is a blank on the engine on the opposite side to the oil pressure sensor). I know a guy who put an oil cooler on a tracked cayman then just took it off as it never worked (in order to let the oil get up to temp you'll need a temp controlled valve that only opens and sends the oil to the cooler over a certain temp - he monitored oil temp on the cooler side of the switch and found that it never opened as the oil never got warm enough). there is also the danger of, on a car driven on the street, having debris pop a hole in the cooler and suffering engine-killing oil loss. as per stone, increasing oil capacity is another way of keeping temps down, but the deeper oil pan may start to pose a problem on the street as well.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote