View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Thanks perfectlap for that info, I checked into it, and solo motorsports in atlanta GA, will do the RMS, IMS, and clutch for around 2000K$ including parts/labor. that is with an upgraded IMS, and they have done lots of them before.. I think I will go with them and save myself the headache.
Others can chime in but I would condition the work on whether you have a dual row or not. If you have a dual row $2000 is fine for all that work.
You won't know if its dual row until they take down the transmission and open it up. They would also have to calculate how many miles are left on the clutch and flywheel. Maybe the previous owner was not such a good driver and you only have 30K miles left, I would replace now if that's the case.

If you have a single row, I think the extra $650 would be better spent getting a direct oil feed to the bearing. At the end of the day the culprit in IMS failures is not that the bearings are too fragile, but that the bearing is not getting enough oil or clean oil. This contamination or starvation leads to the compromising of the bearing. An upgraded single row IMS bearing is not cheap at $650 and while it makes it better at withstanding the oiling issues for certain amount of mileage, it really doesn't address the root cause of the issue. You can check with LNE but I don't think they recommend keeping in their single row bearing (if you can still get them) in for 80-100K miles, or the typical life span of a clutch (the next time you'll have the trans out to swap the bearing yet again). The Pelican bearing ($100) with a direct oil feed, would be the better choice in my opinion. Either way, you're getting rid of the original bearing that has spent a long time sitting dry with only 30K miles in 13 years and has become brittle, unless the previous owners made a point of driving it every week -- hard to say.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote