View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
evan9eleven
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if you just want the pse to be on/off with a switch, use an electric cutout instead of vacuum. vacuum is used when you want fast response (ie, actuating as you cross an rpm threshold); electric should serve your needs fine, is cheap, and is readily available on ebay. check out maxspeed motorsports who sell such a kit.
Good suggestion. I was seriously considering electric valves, and there are many on the market. I Googled extensively and unfortunately, these get mixed reviews regardless of manufacturer for being unreliable. They are also very long/tall, so space will be an issue. If anyone has direct (good) experience with these cutouts, I'd like to hear it. I haven't found the nicer ones to be so much cheaper then vacuum valves actually.

My original plan was to hide two electric valves down inside the muffer with the actuators outside, so if a gear motor craps out it can be replaced. However, these aren't made for that type of application, you really have to have access to the whole thing to change the motor. Also, the electric valves are aluminum, which I can't weld, while the vacuum valves are stainless, which I can. This matters if I want the valves mounted halfway inside a muffler.

One major bonus with the electric valves though: you can set the opening anywhere you like, not just open or closed. That could come in handy if the exhaust is too aggressive wide open, I can adjust it to taste.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote