View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
evan9eleven
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, I saw the same ebay vendor as you and, while he only has one valve left, he has managed to sell 6 of the 5 units he has ... but yeah, if someone can find a better vendor.
I thought so too. The ebay guy is cheap but I think I'll look elsewhere. There appears to be a vendor in the UK with nice valves.

Quote:
otherwise, I was thinking of cutting-out the secondary cat on each side and putting cutouts in their place using easyseal exhaust clamps. attach the valve to the cutout so that muffler is bypassed when valve open. simple and easy to put the cat back if required.
Interesting. I'm not looking to do a total muffler bypass but rather to allow part of the flow past and part still through the muffler. No drone and more sound I hope. Being that I have a euro-spec car, I have only the secondary cats.

Quote:
regarding control, instead of using a switch, use the vacuum switch that opens the resonance flap on your intake (if you by an x51 power kit for your car it doesn't have the resonance flapper and the Porsche install instructions actually tell you to repurpose the rpm-activated vacuum switch to control the pse). so, you can use the same switch and split the vacuum line, or split the rpm signal and use multiple switches. the benefit of the latter is that you can turn off the pse by killing the signal to the switch. either way you should think about adding a second vacuum tank. using this method you get a pse that opens over 4000 rpm when hard on the throttle, but keeps back-pressure at lower rpm and keeps the muffler in the loop when driving sedately.
This part is all new to me and I'll have to learn more. Thanks for the info, I had no idea that there might be a resonance control in the intake that is vacuum controlled. Off the cuff I can say that since I'm only going to do a partial bypass, I think backpressure will be sufficient anyway, though time will tell. I want to enjoy the noise on demand, not only over 4k rpm. Carnewal has a kit I am considering for the vacuum connections, including a solenoid valve and wiring.

Please tell me more about the vacuum tank, I'm a noob when it comes to that part.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote