View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

ABS is standard on all Boxster's. Definitely a good thing, even on a track or race car.

Since the OP said that he's thinking about a "spec build" then we're talking TC and not PCM or PSM or any of the other 20 or so Porsche three letter driving aids.

My recommendation is to skip the TC option since it doesn't really help on the track. But if the car you like has it, then you can learn to live with it. How do I know? I have this option on my 1997 Spec Boxster racecar.

The early version (97-99) of Porsche's TC is relatively stupid (ok, sorry... its "unsophisticated"). Its a teeny bit useful when you are starting out as a Beginner on the track but once you have basic track driving skills it will only slow you down and once you're skilled enough to consider racing it will slow you down a lot.

The TC must be manually turned off each time that the car is started but it does remain off once you have done so (as long as the car remains on). Under Spec Boxster rules, you cannot remove the TC from the car.

Thus, I have to remember to turn off the TC every time that I go out onto the track (each session). If I forget, as soon as I drive into a corner the car will handle like a slug and the TC light will blink like a twinkling star reminding me to hit the Off switch.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote