View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
trimer
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
As the previous posts report, there are good transactions and bad. Having purchased 3 cars on eBay and sold 1, it is my opinion that it all comes down to your tolerance for risk. If you can tolerate some unknowns and can deal with a few minor mechanical issues (the photos should eliminate most cosmetic issues) then eBay can be a viable source for vehicles. Major mechanical issues do void the transaction (if you want out), UNLESS the seller disclosed those issues in the description. You never have to accept a vehicle that is not "as described."

I promise you - there will be something that was not described, but by then you will have already traveled to pickup the car, hopefully already have it covered by insurance, and have an emotional attachment to your "new" Porsche. So, you have to decide if you can live with the undisclosed flaw.

Now if you have the car shipped, then your ability to void the transaction or reject the car is virtually lost. Still probably possible, but MUCH more difficult and expensive.

To reduce risk ask questions. Lots of questions. You can generally tell by the seller's replies if there is something to be wary of. However, many of the sellers are just trying to flip the vehicle and therefore are not as intimate with its details as a private seller would be.

With all this in mind, the eBay vehicle should be procured at a discount because they have higher risk. You can almost bet on needing to put some money into it to cover the undisclosed flaw(s). This same caveat could apply to a local purchase if you aren't thorough in your pre purchase inspection.

IMO-FWIW,
Joe
Couold not agree more on listening for seller remarks, answers, etc. I sent an email out last night on a 928 I was looking at. Asked what issues mechanically the car has and cosmetic issues as well. Response was cars in great shape. So then I asked if it had ever been in an accident. He wrote back and said - no signs of accident but you can talk to the widow of the owner. Now, no signs of accident is not the same as a Yes or a No. As a matter of fact, I pulled (accidentally bought a few more carfaxs than i needed) a carfax on it and it stated the car was reported with an accident back in 04. So needless to say, I dont trust this dealer/seller. BUT the car is priced decent enough and it is more of the rare 5 speed...

I bought one from a dealer and that guy was cool. did a video walk around, put me on speaker to start the car and listen in for a while, and the Boxster was a non dealer seller who was up front on everything...

My latest box was found on Autotrader but the guy was local so I could go see and drive the car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote