Thread: Top Gear
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind View Post
I love the UK version and always have. The American versions...well there were some tolerable episodes as Adam is pretty funny (and the only reason I watched it) but the other two, especially Tanner, is very annoying and as my wife and I say "Top Gear America is Top Gear for Dummies". The Boxster episode was the last straw for me...never watching it again.
Problem is, Top Gear UK is a total nightmare if you're a car lover.

Firstly, they don't review cars properly, it's all about making scripted gags and having everything fit to whatever narrative they've chosen for that ep, which usually has more to do with silly prejudices than what the cars are actually like.

Secondly, TG UK is such a big, lumbering beast, it now defines what pretty much all non-car people about car culture. Don't talk to non car people about cars as Top Gear with inevitably come up!

To be really clear, TG UK is not a car show. It's a light entertainment family show that just happens to be about cars.

Personally, find it tragic that they have all that budget and all those production skills and it's all thrown away on the same repetitive, formulaic scripted nonsense nearly every week.

I don't blame them. They've hit on a formula that's making them all very, very rich. I'd do the same. It's just a disaster if you a car lover.

Rant over!