View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
When I had my PPI done they also said to have the brake fluid flushed. Your explanation gives a good reason for doing it. HOWEVER, I would like to point out that my 14 year old Miata with 130,000 miles on it never had the fluid flushed and never had a brake problem. I can say the same for my 16 year old Mercedes (one of the original ABS cars). As a matter of fact, this Porsche is the first car I ever owned that I have heard the recommendation to change the brake fluid so frequently. Why do Porsche's need this more often than other cars?

Hi,

Without ABS it isn't as critical, but still very critical. Porsches don't need it more often than other cars, they all should be changed every 2 years. The SAE did a study of New Cars 18 mos. old. They found the moisture content averaged 4% with a low of 3% and a high of 7%. With DOT 4 Fluid, a 4% Moisture Content lowers the Boiling Point of the Fluid to about 218 Degrees F. To put this into perspective, this means you're only slightly better off than if you ran pure water in the system.

You may not have thought you needed it, but I'm certain that your maximum braking efficiency was severely reduced. Not to mention, that your Brake Hardware was probably excessively worn because of this.

It's true you may have a Car for a lifetime and get away with it, but that still doesn't mean it's a recommended practice. It's just as critical as an Oil Change, maybe more so considering the safety implications. It's a pain to do, but not really too bad and it's not too expensive, much less than replacing a single Brake Component...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote