View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff740
Hi everyone, Im the new owner of an 01 Boxster. Before purchasing the vehicle I did take it into Porsche for a Pre-Purchase Inspection and the only recommendation was that I have the Brake Fluid Flush done as part of the 30,000 mile service. I was wondering if I need to go with Porsche Brand Brake Fluid or are there other brake fluids that are readily available at the local auto parts store that are recommended and safe to use?? Additionally, what is involved with doing the flush and how difficult is it??
ANy web links for a DIY fluid flush would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Hi,

A Flush is recommended every 2 years. Brake Fluid absorbs moisture and this can significantly lower the Boiling Point of the Fluid leading to soft, spongy, ineffective Brakes. Also, this Moisture will corrode the Brake System and it's parts, especially expensive with ABS.

But, in addition to becoming moisture laden, Brake Fluid (primarily Glycol esters) will react with the metal in the system, Copper in the Brake Lines in particular. This reaction leaches Copper Ions from the metal which will react with the Oxygen and attack the Ferrous parts. ABS increases this effect because unlike Standard Hydraulic Brakes, where the Fluid basically works in a Fore and Aft movement (Like a cable in a sleeve), with ABS, the Fluid is circulated throughout the system. The contaminates are also circulated through the system and consists of iron or rust particles. The ABS Valves are especially vulnerable to this foreign matter.

You should use the Porsche recommended Fluid and Power Bleed using Porsche's recommended procedure. Not too difficult and you will save some money. But, if you're unsure of when the last flush took place, I would recommend buying twice the normal amount of Fluid and flushing it completely. So, a small initial investment for the Bleeder - $75 will be needed and it will help greatly to have an assistant. There are lots of links for How To's out there. Here is a pretty good one: http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.Porsh/POR%20Model%20986%20Brake%20Bleed%20Procedure.pdf

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote