View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Nine8Six

Just had a word with our indy who did the job for him. Yes he apparently sent his ECU to GIAC back in the states to get it flashed. He also went for the 4" pulley option on the SC so the 35hp is about right within what everybody heard about his SC mod here.

Apparently the MY96 motor is less than a great motor for forced induction and simply not designed to take the added power. Common problems are the top rings melting, pistons cracking and lifters failures. My indy also said that for such a system on a cheap flat6 engine, you'll need to change a lot along side e.g. much bigger fuel injectors, better pistons and rings, huge headers and exhaust pipes, some sort of intercooler, a pro-tuner "timing" job, etc etc etc. A proper set-up can run between 10k~20.

I'm guessing that 986 SC guy here didn't had that kind of patience and cash therefore had to go for the downgrade option and live with +35hp, but a reliable set-up

Don't take above for granted, I know crap about cars and even less about the flat6 engine and just repeating what I've just been told by a pcar pro-tuner here. I'd check with the professionals who are not affiliated with the SC manufacturer to make sure your (awesome) boxster stays awesome before thinking about throwing it +75 more horses

Everybody told me this kit needs MINIMUM +100 octane juice to run safely, how are you dealing with that? Can we run those on the cheap commercial gas we find at pump everywhere now? Guessing the DME needs to be adjusted for that?