View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #47
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
I don't think in terms of depreciation. I think in terms of consumption. In other words, I am consuming the car's value over time, so it will logically be worth less after a period of time.

I bought my 2006 Boxster S for $70. Drove it for 7.5 driving seasons, almost 60,000 miles and sold it this September for $30. Seems far to me. So it cost me about $0.67/mile to drive. So, when I do a 320 mile Saturday morning drive to enjoy the weather, great roads and awesome car, I spent $215. Big whip. People spend that much on golf and booze on a weekend morning.

On the other hand, I bought my 1997 993 Turbo in 2009 for low $60's and drove it for 4 years and 40,000 miles and sold it this summer for low $90's. So, it all depends.

I have a new 991 C2S Cabriolet on order for March delivery. Lots of options. Very expensive. +$150. Sure I'll get hammered on depreciation/consumption, but I really don't care. It's paid for. I'll have it for at least 10 years. Doesn't matter what it's worth or not worth in 10 years.

Yes, I think a new modern Ferrari will depreciate faster than a new modern Porsche.
Actually, there's a completely different culture that surrounds the Ferrari marque. Yes, they depreciate, but only so far. The culture won't allow it. In fact, some Ferraris will actually rebound from depreciation, and gradually begin to climb in price. That's not to say the same doesn't occur with certain Porsches, but I doubt the boxster will be one of them.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote