View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
ttmedical

Garage
Can't reinstall driver's side headlight assembly

First off, hello to everyone! This is my first post here on the 986 Forum and I’m excited to be a part of the Porsche community!

I recently had my driver’s side headlight (MY03 Base) go out on me so I used the Porsche tool to pop out the headlight assembly, insert a new bulb, and am now having trouble having it lock in properly. After looking online, I was told that I wasn’t using enough force to properly lock the assembly into place. Well, I tried using “enough force” and managed to snap the clamping rod at the hexagonal part (in my defense the rod seemed quite worn). I finally got another one shipped to me but I checked the bottom of the headlight assembly and it seems the clamping rod wasn’t hitting the groove where it locks the assembly in, but instead it was hitting quite behind that point (I could tell by the way the plastic was slightly indented in this spot). This means that the headlight assembly is not being inserted all the way back into the car.

Even though this seems to be the case, the headlight assembly is still inserting into the blue and orange socket, so I am getting the headlight and all other functions to work. I tried removing the socket from its holder to see if maybe it was pushing the headlight out too much, but even with the socket out of the way the headlight still doesn’t go all the way back. Next, I removed the entire mounting tray from the car and with this part and the headlight assembly outside of the vehicle, the headlight assembly slides into the tray perfectly and everyting lines up. This confirms my suspicion that something in or on the car around the headlight area is preventing it from going all the way in and seating properly. Finally, compared to the passenger side headlight, the problematic one does stick out by about 5mm to 1 cm, enough of an issue that I can understand why the clamping rod is missing the groove and hitting a little father back.

At this point, I have three options. One is to dremel the area where the clamping rod is hitting the headlight assembly and make a new groove (this has been done by some people around the forum for an aftermarket headlight that didn’t fit properly). Two is to buy a whole new headlight assembly, but this is both expensive and if the new OEM one doesn’t fit, I’m out an expensive part I don’t need. Three is really the best solution: maybe some of you around here have had such a problem and so any information or guidance is invaluable to me!

For Reference:
Clamping rod: #10
Headlight Assembly: The entire part #1
Socket: #19 and 20, see how it fits into the mounting tray and how I removed it for one of the tests
Mounting Tray: The entire #9
Headlamp Direction Indicator Light
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote