Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
ha ha ha ha ha

just sell it now...

(the Boxster is a reliable car once you get it sorted out and fix the know weak spots, but it's 100% the wrong car to own if you have car-hypocondria - especially if you read the internets)

/
Well this is one way of looking at it. My experience after 2.5 year of ownership of my 2001 base Box is that initially the car repairs real or imagined can be overwhelming if you allow it to be. I have a wife that gets on my case if car repairs become excessive. So to keep everyone happy I decide on what I must do and what is not necessary.

First your AOS is relatively cheap to repair. Secondly with my concern for the IMS I had installed the IMS Guardian which can give info on impending failure of the IMS.This worked out to installed cost of less than half of what it would cost to replace IMS.

Many Box owners take a chance and do nothing about the IMS until the clutch needs work and then typically do rms/ims/clutch together.

It sounds like you are still in the honeymoon stage of Box ownership. It takes a while to feel more relaxed about it. Financial situation I believe if well heeled a person is more relaxed. If you have borrowed to the max to finance the Box then a person may likely be more on edge. Be prepared to spend $1-2k a year on normal repairs per year if you are paying somebody to do it, a lot less if you do it yourself.

If you bought your Box super cheap and work has not been done then repairs may be coming thick and fast. If the repairs have been done(confirmed by receipts) then not so much work needs to be done.

If this Box keeps you awake at night and the wife gets on your case too much then fatMike may be right. If you can calm your mind and your wife things should be okay.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote