View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #34
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Wishing you the best on this adventure if you proceed. If you find the bearing is good or bad this forum is a great resource for you to use. If you so much as remove the IMS cover, you should follow the excellent directions provided you earlier in this thread to the letter. Heretic alert! Stop reading if you abhor heretics! really, stop now! Heretic portion use at your own peril: If you decide to replace the bearing, replace the double bearing with a similar double - source a new bearing with the information embossed on the grease seal - the cheapest, Ahem, most cost effective option... Google the bearing number and you will have a plethora of options. Your challenge will be getting the bearing out (special tooling $$$), retrieving the stud that the bearing is on, (I pressed out my single easily with a vise and some wood tooling) putting the new bearing/stud together (freezer/hairdryer) and getting that assembly back into the IMS (Freezer + more special tooling $$$). Best of luck with the double. The letters on the grease seal tell you what type of seal is used, the single is "sealed" on both sides. I assume the double is as well. I *mainly* copied the original questionable design in my bearing replacement. The down side is that whatever you do even if you so much as open up the IMS cover to look at the bearing, you will "own" this bearing, and this engine in the future.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote