View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
RaisedOnPorsches

Thanks again for the recommendations. I spent today driving my Boxster down to Hayward to visit Parts Heaven. I didn't go on a huge shopping spree, but I bought several parts that are necessary to remedy a few neglected repairs that have been bugging me for a while. (Replacing my workout fender liner, new shocks for the front hood, a new airbag mounting bracket so my horn wont honk at every pothole that I come across). I got the replacement liner on today. Tomorrow or Monday I'll get the other two repairs done and possibly drop in the short-shifter.

Its been a while since I've had the time and space to do my own repair work. I've been throwing a lot of money towards my new mechanic (with a higher hourly rate than my old mechanic, thanks to moving). It is easy to forget how satisfying it is to work your own car.

My first car was a vintage VW Beetle so I have some experience driving with a rear-engine configuration. Granted dinky 4-cylinder VW cannot compare with a Porsche 6-cylinder, but I did gain an appreciation for the physics involved in rear engine driving. My dad has owned many 911s over the years, which is part of why I'm drawn towards owning one.

Anyhow, I totally agree giving up one fun car where all the issues are known for another one with many unknowns is a gamble. It is expensive too. Maybe once I'm a little further in life and have one or two mini-mes running around, I'll have the proper excuse for needing a 4-seater Porsche. ;P
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote