View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
oc-boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
talking 3.4 996 vs 3.2 986, from what i understand, bottom end, heads and cams are identical, so differences are displacement, intake, exhaust and tuning. porsche limited the last three to depower the boxster. for relatively little money you can undo this. you could potentially put a 996 intake manifold on your car (heads are the same so should bolt right on) but it is taller (which typically means better mid-range torque) and doesn't fit in the engine bay - youd have to lower your engine like the engine swap guys do (and get 996 fuel rails to match). otherwise, there are diys to add the intake plenum from a 997, throttle body from a 996 and airbox from a cayman to your car. cant fit a 996 exhaust (points the wrong way) but a cayman exhaust will bolt right up (lots around as take-offs from guys upgrading) or topspeed make a good inexpensive solution. with tuning you gotta pay, but i hope to fit a cayman maf housing to my 3.2 this winter and push a row 996 tune to it and see what happens. if it works ill have an inexpensive tuning solution and remove the final restriction in the intake (the narrow 986 maf housing).
A cayman exhaust will bolt right up to a 986 boxster? Does it add any power or just change the exhaust tone? I would consider this if I could find a nice used one somewhere if it added a few hp
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote