View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #17
ranbar2

Perfectlap, I hope your scenario isn't hard on the clutch because I do it all the time. Rolling up to lights that are about to change is another case. You know that you probably won't have to come to a complete stop, but you'll be pretty close. I'll put it in neutral and roll in and if I don't have to come to a complete stop I just put it in the appropriate gear for the speed I am rolling at, blip the throttle to get the revs up and feather out the clutch. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you match the revs correctly it shouldn't have any impact on the clutch.

I know there is a contingent that says to downshift your way to a complete stop. That way you will always be in gear and able to react if necessary and will also be in the correct gear if you don't need to come to a complete stop. I do that sometimes but prefer to just put it in neutral (lazy, I guess). The worst case scenario is my wife, who puts it in neutral but keeps the clutch in. If she comes to a complete stop she keeps the clutch in, puts it in first and waits for the light to change. This is why the only time she drives my car is if we have been out and I have had a couple of drinks.

Btw, I am a "self-taught" shifter who learned in my 40's on my first boxster (may she rest in peace). In fact, my two boxsters (and a couple I test drove when looking for the second) are the only manual trannys I have ever driven. I guess I am spoiled. Anyway, I am sure I have many bad shifting habits and am always looking for advice to do it better, smoother and with less stress on the car. I really enjoy these periodic "shifting" threads and have actually learned quite alot from them.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote