View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Trey T

An oil thread in any forum will always yield uneducated responses. Most people will tell you to stick to what Porsche recommend. The main important thing about oil is the type (synthetic 0w40 or 5w40) and as long as you use what the engine calls for, there shouldn't be any dispute.

I only use full synthetic Castrol 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 on the boxster because I usually find deals on them. Would I get the Shell 5w40 or 0w40 full synthetic? I don't know, I ahve to study the additives they put in there but I wouldn't dismiss it as a cheap oil.

Mobil 1 back in the 90s was considered a cheap alternative oil and I remember my uncle whoms a mechanic recommended something that everyone else use like valvoline, pennzoil, or castrol. Porsche recommends oil change innterval something like 10K miles but most of us on here change them out every 5K miles. I'm gonna let you think about that for a bit and let you process it.

To be honest, I think people on here will prioritize brand over type/grade, which is very silly and uneducated.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote