View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

MaxD got it right...

This secret was passed on to me by the Honorable Mr. Brad Roberts when he told me: "You're fast, but you brake way too much.".

What he meant was to work on maintaining momentum. It is easy (too easy) to over-brake in the Boxster. Ask yourself - are you really at the limit on corner entry? If not, then you're braking too much.

One time when I had a professional instructor in my car with me, he asked why I was tapping the brakes before a corner? I said to set the front tires before turn in. He said, stop it - you're no where near the true limit. And we worked on going 1 mph faster into that turn each lap until the car was sliding on entry. Then we worked on a smoother entry and increased it another 1 mph. And so on.

Then we worked on maintaining the limit in mid-corner and then on corner exit. By the end of the day, I took 5 seconds off my lap time.

Work on braking just enough and carrying more speed through all parts of the corner (entry, middle, and exit). Alternatively, go in a little too fast and let the tires scrub off some speed (use that inherrent understeer to some benefit for a change!). Your lap times will plumment and the brakes will last much longer.

By the way, I change brake fluid once a year and never have a problem.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote