View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
iaincamp

Brake Pads for DE - Recommendations?

Brake Advice, please.

For the last 15 months, I've tried to attend every DE event from my regional PCA (CVR) in my mostly-stock '01 Boxster S. Some combination of increased ability/speed/harder braking, and the addition of Nitto 01 tires and M030 anti-sway bars has led to persistent brake fade, then spongy pedal feel, then total pedal-to-the-floor failure (if I persist), particularly at longer tracks like Watkins Glen. I'm using ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, changed mid-August, newish Textar pads and OEM cross-drilled rotors, the fronts of which are due for replacement this winter.

As I understand it, my choices are:

a) change to Castrol SRF, for its higher boiling point
b) change my brake fluid before every event, or at minimum bleed 10 pumps worth from each cylinder to refresh the fluid
c) change my brake pads to performance pads. (I have had recommendations for both Pagid and Performance Friction pads. Pelican has a large array of performance pads, and widely varying prices; what's the sweet spot?)
d) all of the above.

I'd appreciate hearing from those with first-hand, real-world experience in this matter, thanks! I'm also curious about anyone who is using a cute but expensive little "brake radiator" called Cool Shim (Pelican).

Thanks!
iaincamp is offline   Reply With Quote