View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
You are absolutely right, before it was the "cap" now they said it was "bleeding"
I asked the guy, "if 6 months ago, you looked at it, why does it need replacing now?"
And then he gave me a "explanation" that i feel discredited the Porsche brand instead of owning up to the issue.
The coolant system is an "eco-system" as far as replacing things.
If you don't address the coolant cap before tinkering about with the coolant tank or water pump the pressure will be always be off and you'll end up with weird coolant levels every time you check the trunk. Removing an old coolant cap is like trying to re-use the same piece of scotch tape. It's not going to hold tight once screwed back on.

If you flush the system without updating to the most recent coolant cap, or periodically changing it, you can end up with air in the system which will cause the original and now brittle coolant tank to split, spill all that coolant (1-800 flat bed).

Also, ask your mechanic if they filled with an Airlift. If a shop does a lot of these they should not be doing it old school. As a general rule put a new coolant cap on every time you refresh the brake fluid. It's a cheap part that can cause expensive damage. If this was a dealer, find a an indepedent mechanic. Maybe Pedro can point you towards one.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote