View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
AKnowles

OK, I see no one mentioned that the right rear wheel well is where the coolant overflow exits teh car, so I will. The rest is dead on so far as if you had an overflow you need to find out why. Pulling the carpet, pl,us teh exposed fiberboard flooring, is mandatory to see if you have an internal leak of the coolant resivoir.

If you recently pulled your radiator cap, then it is time to repalce it as you have a model 1 when they are up to a model 4 at this point. The model 1 had two stages where it allowed an overflow if I recall correctly. Two seperate pressure valves. And from what I recall, removing the cap often causes a failure at that point. I repalced my 01 with the latest 04 when I replaced my water pump.

Do keep in mind that you can't, or shouldn;t, just use any coolant to fill it back up to the top line. You need to use the same type of coolant that is in their. Don't ask me what is in there because, who knows. It's an old car. And even Porsche used two seperate coolant colors (prior green, current id pink). Bottom line though is mixing coolant types can be detremental. If you have to add fluid, use distilled water. That is safe, but lowers the boiling point if you have to add a lot.