View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
steved0x

I just went to my first DE at Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah, GA, through the Florida Crown PCA, and I had to get a helmet. I measured my head (a couple of places give guidance on this) and then mapped it up to different sizes/brands (each brand's size can be slightly different than the others). There were so many choices that I didn't have a clue.

For my DE, Apexperformance.net was the sponsor, and I gave them a call, and they said they would be bringing a big trailer full of helmets and supplies and I could just try some on when I got there. I am glad I did, because each brand of helmet can fit slightly different. Some are tighter around the top of the head, and if you get one big enough to fit the top of your head, it is too loose around the jaw, and some are tighter around the jaw and looser up top, etc...

I tried on a bunch, and ended up with a bell full face (can't recall the exact model). It was around $260'ish I think. They gave me a 15% PCA discount.

There were a couple of cheaper ones, some open face and some full face but they just wouldn't fit my head correctly. They had a $50 rental option for those, and then pay the difference if you want to buy the helmet at the end of the event.

I would check with the organizer of your DE and see if there is a trackside sponsor, and then give them a call and see what helmets they are bringing out. They will likely have a ton and you can try them on and get advice from folks that are in the business, and you can see what everybody else has while you are there.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote