View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
riverside986

I recently purchased a set of the latest Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 all-season tire for my 2004 S (245/40ZR18 and 265/35ZR18). Few miles but nice tire, excellent steering response, should be decent in cold weather. Not a soft and cushy tire like the ContiExtreme DWS all-seasons. Good wear rating (though that's something of a moot point for me); not as pricey as some of the alternatives. You might check out the recent Tire Rack tests. On the face of it, they are claimed to combine the performance of a summer tire with the desirable traits of an all-season.

The new Michelins are very quiet, certainly quieter than the N-code Michelin summer tires they replaced. (And those summer tires weren't bad in this regard.) Hope it continues. My most recent experience with performance summer tires was with the generally well regarded ContiExtreme DW (on a VW GTI). The good times with those went sour, started getting slight cupping of the tread and fairly sudden onset of "bearing-like" noise after only 5K miles.

From here in southern CA, I have no business offering advice on tires for snow!

Gil

Last edited by riverside986; 09-26-2013 at 11:05 AM.
riverside986 is offline   Reply With Quote