View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
steved0x

Key rotated all the way around when I went to start my car this evening

I had a weird experience this evening. I went to Advance auto parts to adjust my headlights (they have a nice flat parking lot and a big wall that worked out really well for that)

When I got done, I went to crank the car and the key just spun to the right, I am not sure if it made a whole revolution but it felt like it went further than before.

Exact sequence of events:

Ignition was already on because the headlights were on.
Turned off headlights.
Put clutch in.
Turned the key. No start (you have to go off and then back on)
Went to the off position, and then back to the on position, and the key spun.

I was able to get the key out (edit: after fiddling with it) and when I did there was still some door chimes, almost as if the key was still in and the ignition was on.

I put the key back in, and turned it to the left, and it kind of "popped" and then everything was back to normal. I cranked up the car and drove straight home When I got home and parked it I cranked it up a few times and everything seemed normal.

I did some searching and I've never seen this particular issue before and so I'm not sure if it is the switch portion or the "tumbler" portion. The switch was replaced 3/12/2012 about 10,000 miles ago.

Any hot tips? What would allow the key to spin around in the ignition?

Thanks!

Steve

Edit: after doing some more searching on renntech.org and here it sounds as it if may be the switch portion again. Maybe I muscled it too hard when trying to crank it one time or something?

Last edited by steved0x; 09-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote