Thread: Other Hobbies?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
I listened to a 150k 2channel system a couple months ago before I bought my gallos. If anyone thinks p cars are a hobbyist money pit they need to check out some of the audiophile websites. It's even gotten to the point where guys are spending 60+ a pop on fuses! Fuses folks...makes a raby motor at 20k seem like easy money...

Fwiw that old marantz gear is uber desirable, don't make it out like jd and I have fancier taste!
I hear you. I was shooting the breeze last week with the tech from a local repair shop who aligned the FM section on another older Marantz I have, he showed me some of the crazy high end stuff. They had a turntable that listed for $27k, I looked at him like he was from Mars when he told me that.

You are also right on some of the gear getting expensive, ebay has driven that market wonky. Certain equipment that could be easily had for $150 to $250 3 to 5 years ago now commands $750 to $2k depending on condition.

There is definitely a reason for it though, some of the older stuff absolutely puts to shame the newer offerings. I remember you (Sgt Brad) noticing the NAD receiver in my garage a couple of years ago, it is a 7250PE model with 50 wpc and it completely decimates the 140 wpc my new Onkyo puts out, but with Home Theater you gotta have the HDMI inputs.

One thing I have tried to incorporate into anything I collect recently, keep with things that tend to appreciate in value. I REALLY wish I had more garage space, I'd be snapping up more air cooled 911's (the right ones). One the 993 forums I frequent when a nice example comes up for sale it is common for them to sell for asking price within hours if not minutes, they are getting very pricey.

Last edited by coreseller; 09-19-2013 at 10:08 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote